There were several steps in this process. First, I read through both original documents – a chapter from Anne-Marie’s dissertation, and her initial book submission – and gave a few suggestions about how she could make her argument more compelling and historically grounded (I can’t help it -- I'll always be an historian at heart!!). Then, I created a new Word document that contained all the disparate elements from the originals (content, arguments, analyses, quotes, citations, etc.), and took out overlapping information and repeated sentences. Next, I re-organized the document according to an outline that Anne-Marie and I constructed, moving around sections and sub-sections to improve the narrative arc of the thesis, pointing out the places that needed more analysis, and suggesting transitions to make the whole thing flow more smoothly. This is an example of substantial revision.
I used different fonts for each original document, to make it easy to track where the paragraphs (and even sentences and phrases) came from. I did some in-text editing, but at this point, I mostly inserted comments (red bubbles on the right) to clarify Anne-Marie's argument, ask her for more analysis, and make suggestions.
Now, the document was much cleaner -- all of the red bubbles show where I changed double quotes (") to single quotes (') and "favor" to "favour" [those crazy Brits], and where I re-formatted the footnotes. It was ready for Anne-Marie's final look-over before submission.
In any case, I now am diving into back into historical fiction novels set in 16th Britain, because clearly I need a little more Tudor court intrigue in my life.